There is no minimum English proficiency test score for undergraduate admission to KU.
However, all applicants to KU must submit English proficiency test scores to be considered for admission.
English proficiency test scores must be less than two years old.
ENGLISH REQUIREMENTS FOR ENROLLMENT IN ACADEMIC COURSEWORK
If you have one of the following test scores, you are not required to take the AEC (Applied English Center) placement test when you arrive on campus and will be qualified to enroll in full-time degree coursework.
- 79 or above on the TOEFL iBT (with no subscore lower than 18)
- 550 or above on the TOEFL paper-based test (with no subscore lower than 52)
- 6.5 or above on the IELTS (with no subscore lower than 6.0)
- 53 or above on the PTE
- 590 or above on the SAT Evidenced Based Reading & Writing section
- 22 or above on the ACT English section
- AP English, grade 4 or higher
- AS and A level English Languages exams with grade of B or higher on both exams
- Cambridge Academic English (CAE) grade of B or higher
You do not have to submit English proficiency scores or take the AEC test if:
- You have taken 4 years of college preparatory English and graduated from high school with a 2.5 GPA in one of the following places:
- United States of America
- The United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- An English-speaking province of Canada
- An English-speaking Caribbean country
- Any US-accredited school located abroad
You are a citizen of the USA, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, an English-speaking province of Canada, or an English-speaking Caribbean country
You have completed the full IB diploma program with a score of 5 or higher in English HL
You have earned a B or better grade in College English Composition 1 and 2 AND
- Earned 24 or more credit-bearing hours toward a degree at an accredited US institution or at an institution within one of the countries listed above
Earned an associate's degree from a US-accredited post-secondary college with a 2.5 GPA
PROCESS FOR STUDENTS WITHOUT QUALIFYING SCORE OR OTHER EXCEPTION
If you do not have one of the accepted minimum test scores and do not qualify for any of the exception options, you will be tested for English proficiency by the Applied English Center (AEC) when you arrive at KU.
The AEC placement test will determine whether you will enroll in full-time or part-time intensive English language coursework or whether you will be eligible to begin full-time academic coursework.
The "Time in AEC" chart can help you estimate the duration of your intensive English coursework.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING TEST SCORES AND/OR TRANSCRIPTS
If you do not submit a passing test score or transcripts showing sufficient evidence of English coursework (as detailed above) at the time of admission, you have until the end of the first day of international student orientation to submit test scores or transcripts in order to be waived from the AEC English proficiency test on campus.