Are You an International Student?

You are an international student if you:
  • will enter the U.S. on a student or any U.S. non-immigrant visa (such as F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2, H-1, H-4, E-2, L-2, A-2, TPS, etc.)
  • are currently in the U.S. in any US non-immigrant status 
  • are not a U.S. citizen
  • are not a U.S. permanent resident, refugee, or political asylee or applicant for U.S. permanent residence, refugee, or asylee status
  • once had a valid U.S. non-immigration status but are currently considered out-of-status

Where you attended high school does not determine which admission office or which application you should use. Which admission office you apply through does not determine your residency status for tuition purposes. Eligibility for in-state tuition is determined by the KU Residency Specialist in the Registrar's Office.

You should apply through the KU Office of Admissions if you:

  • are a U.S. citizen
  • have dual citizenship with another country and the U.S. and are eligible for a U.S. passport
  • are a U.S. permanent resident, refugee, or political asylee or applicant for U.S. permanent residence, refugee, or asylee status
  • have been approved or applied for D.A.C.A. (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)
  • are eligible for KS Statute 76-731a

If you are uncertain of your immigration status, you may present your papers to an ISS immigration advisor for determination of status, e-mail, or call 785-864-3617.

Apply now »


Types of International Students who Apply through IRUA

Freshman-First Year
Non-degree Student
KU Academic Accelerator Program

Academic records

You must provide official academic records from each secondary and post-secondary institution you have attended.

Faxes, scans, or photocopies of your official academic records are not considered official. Your school must mail the original academic records directly to our office. We must receive your official transcripts in the school's sealed envelope or via a bonafide established transcript service (such as Naviance, Docufide, Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse, etc.). All documents must:

  • Be in the native language of instruction with English translations
  • Bear the official school seal and the signature of an administrative official
  • Bear your full name
  • Provide dates of enrollment, courses for each term of study, and grades you earned
  • Indicate the diploma or certificate you completed or will complete
  • Note the grading scale and number of credit hours completed whenever possible

All records will become the property of KU and will not be returned or forwarded.

Freshmen:You are a freshman if you have gradyated from high school and have not enrolled in a regular session at any college or university after high school graduation. You must submit official records such as official transcripts, mark sheets, diplomas, certificates, or official examination results proving completion of secondary education (high school) and grades achieved.

Transfer students: You are a transfer student if you have graduated from high school and been enrolled in a college or university. You must present official transcripts from all post-secondary-level (college or university) coursework. You may not disregard your college record and apply as a freshman. All college and university academic records must be submitted. If you have completed fewer than 24 transferrable hours of university or college coursework since high school (usually one full year of study), you must also submit your high school records.

TOEFL/IELTS-Academic English Proficiency Chart (pdf)

TOEFL/IELTS-Academic English Proficiency Chart-Chinese Translation (pdf)

As a part of the application for admission, degree-seeking international freshmen and transfer applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit official English proficiency examination scores, such as official TOEFL or IELTS-Academic. Official scores must be less than two years old and submitted directly from the testing agency to the University of Kansas. 

Do I have to send English proficiency scores? 
Yes. English proficiency scores, such as the TOEFL or IELTS-Academic, must be submitted for degree-seeking admission. We will also accept other standardized tests that measure English proficiency for admission. E-mail for more details.  For general information about TOEFL and IELTS-Academic scores and exceptions to the English proficiency test score requirement, see the English Requirement Chart.  

What is the minimum English proficiency score? 
None.  There is no minimum English proficiency test score requirement for undergraduate admission. However, minimum scores in TOEFL, IELTS-Academic, or the AEC English Placement Test are required for enrollment in KU academic coursework. Learn more at the AEC website.  

I didn't take the TOEFL or IELTS.  Can I come to KU? 
We will consider other standardized tests that measure English proficiency. To learn whether your English proficiency test scores are acceptable, e-mail your question to or Otherwise, you can apply as a non-degree student through the Applied English Center (AEC).  There, you will take English language courses before applying for admission to a degree program.  

If you have already submitted an application for KU undergraduate admission but haven't taken an English proficiency test, please e-mail and request your application be processed for the KU non-degree seeking intensive English program in the Applied English Center.  You do not need to fill out another application form.  

Why does KU want my English proficiency test score? 
English proficiency test scores are used to estimate how much time applicants might need to spend taking ESL courses in the AEC before starting a degree program.  The English Requirement Chart has estimates according to TOEFL and IELTS-Academic scores.  

Will I have to take ESL courses at KU? 
Regardless of their English proficiency test scores, all new international students will be evaluated for English proficiency upon arrival.  The evaluation will determine whether you will enroll in full-time intensive English courses, part-time intensive English courses and part-time degree courses, or full-time degree courses.